December 12, 2009

Pride & Prejudice - Marvel Graphic Novel

It was my partner who discovered Pride and Prejudice - Marvel Graphic Novel on a recent trip to one of our favourite bookshops in Sydney - I thought he was pointing it out for me but he actually wanted to buy it for himself. I know I am getting close to him reading an original Jane Austen novel!
I still "borrowed" the book from his collection to make up my fourth selection for the Everything Austen Challenge. I found this version of Pride and Prejudice delightful - if a little slimmed down and cut back to fit into the graphic novel genre. I found the visual representations of the characters pretty close to how I might imagine a slightly more modern version of Austen's creations (although I felt Mrs Bennet got a bit of a bad deal!).
I wouldn't have wanted this to be my introduction to the Pride and Prejudice story - so much has had to be tightened up or left out that even though the essence of the story is still in tact something is lost. All in all though a beautiful, if different, trip down Austen lane.

11 comments:

Paperback Reader said...

Elizabeth on the front cover is beautiful.

I love that classics are being represented in the graphic novel form as it opens them up to a wider readership and those who would perhaps avoid the novels themselves.

Anonymous said...

i just recently read my first graphic novel (fun home)and it took a while for me to acclimate to the 'comic book style' reading. i never read comics as a kid, so i had some trouble.

i'm not sure if i'd try this one out--i love P&P but i like my own imagery better than marvel's. :)

the graphic novel version might be great for my students, though. i teach a basic skills class and we usually read a 'literary classics' version that has pictures and easier vocabulary. i'm going to check this out--thank you so much for posting about it!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a bizarrely brilliant idea, I am going to have to get this for one of my Austen-mad friends as it seems genius. I never knew it existed so thank you very much for sharing this one.

JoAnn said...

I'm reading this now!! Hope to get a review up soon. Graphic novels are growing on me...

Al said...

Weird.
The whole thing about Austen is the language.

Unknown said...

it does look beautiful! Sometimes I think my life can be marked in the periods between rereading Pride and Prejudice...might have to be a plan for 2010!

Karen said...

Hi Claire - Elizabeth is very beautiful in this edition. I agree with you about editions and formats like this opening up Austen to a wider audience - this can only be a good thing I think.

Hi booklineandsinker - I am the same as you - have never really been interested in comics at all. I think this book might be good for your students - the writing still stays true to Austen in many ways but the format might enable more engagement with the story.

Hi savidgereads - as a huge Austen fan I can say that I am glad to have it in my collection!

Hi JoAnn - looking forward to reading your review!

Hi Al - The Austen language is brilliant - but I also think there is so much more that her books offer.

Hi Courtney - I have just started re-reading P&P now! I think the graphic novel got me in the mood!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

WOW...the cover and the graphics inside look terrific. I have yet to read a graphic novel...LOL

Vintage Reading said...

I'm quite intrigued by this. Let's hope Austen graphic novels take over from Austen zombie novels!

Karen said...

Hi Diane - I'm not a big graphic novel reader myself but I find if I am interested in the story/content I can get on board.

Hi Vintage Reading - Oh I hope so!!! I can't stand to see the zombies taking over Austen!

Serena said...

what an interesting idea! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. I hadn't heard of it before.