September 04, 2009

Only 1 More Sleep!


Only one more sleep until we head overseas! I think I am organised - am looking forward to getting away and having an adventure.

The books above are the ones I will be taking with me - I think I have been very disciplined! I am sure I will buy more while we are away but to begin with I have;


True Pleasures: A Memoir of Women in Paris by Lucinda Holdforth. I have already started this one and I am really enjoying it. The author is an Australian woman who spends some time in Paris after finishing a job exploring the lives of famous women who have lived in the city and gained inspiration from it.


A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka. This is the last book I have of this author to read - I have really enjoyed the other two so I thought this would be a safe bet to take on the plane.


Inside The Whale by Jennie Rooney. I bought this one when I was in Sydney a little while ago. It is not a big book so it won't take up too much precious room but it sounds really good - set in England around the time of WW2. Has anyone heard of this one??


The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (audio book) - I'm not sure how this one will go as an audio book but I really wanted to take it and this was the only way I could fit it in!


So, I will see how I go with these and other books I find along the way. I will try and check into the blogging world while I am away but if not I will see you all when I get back in 4 weeks! Happy reading everyone!


14 comments:

Paperback Reader said...

Have a wonderful time, Karen!

Remember to pop into the Persephone shop whilst in London and, if you can, go to Cafe Angelina on the Rue de Rivoli in Paris for their hot chocolate (and the chestnut cream meringue thing). Mmmm.

The audio for The Little Stranger may be very atmospheric with descriptions of the sounds. Enjoy.

Eva said...

I hope you have a marvelous trip!!! How could you not? :)

And I'm very impressed at the small amount of books for 4 weeks. Go you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious Karen, hope you have a great trip!

I think Cornflower read and recommended Inside the whale a while back, which means it should be good.

Nadia said...

Have a brilliant time on your travels!! I think you have chosen just the right amount of reading to take with you and a good selection of books. I am sure you are going to have a fabulous time - can't wait to read all about it!

Serena said...

Have a great time on your trip! Looks like you have some great companions to take with you.

Steph said...

Have a great trip, Karen! I'm so envious of your overseas adventuring - I am dying to revisit London & Paris, but I don't see that happening anytime soon! I will live vicariously through you!

Those four books look great, and I'm sure they'll serve you well. I hardly ever get any reading done on vacations (too busy doing other stuff), and as you rightly point out, you can always pick up more books on your travels should you need to!

claire said...

Have a lovely time, Karen! Three books plus one audio are perfect, as I'm sure you'll be lugging along more when you get back! Can't wait to hear about your (possible) Persephone visit! :D

Karen said...

Hi Claire - Thank you! I am definitely going to try and make it to Persephone while I am in London - very excited about that! I read about Cafe Angelina in French Milk so I also have that on my list!

Hi Eva - I'm sure we will have a fantastic time! I'm impressed with myself too - but I'm sure that collection will grow as we travel!!

Hi adevotedreader - thanks for letting me know that - I might see if I can check out their review. It looks like a great book but I just hadn't heard anything about it.

Hi Nadia - I can't wait to share my travels with everyone!! I'm sure there will be lots of photos!

Hi Serena - thanks!! I always have a special place in my reading heart for the books I read on holidays.

Hi Steph - I'm a bit the same with my reading on holidays - too much other stuff to be seeing and doing. I think books are more like a security blanket for me!

Hi Claire - I hope I make it there - it is definitely on the agenda! Will let you know all about it.

megan said...

Bon Voyage!! Have fun! Can't wait to see pics :)

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I wish you the most wonderful trip! :D I see you have a great selection of reading too!

Samantha said...

Best wishes for a great trip ... and yes you have restrained yourself with only those three books (and 1 audio). Such a good excuse to fill your bag with books while you are over there ;-)

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful time!

Send me an email: jackie (at) farmlanebooks (dot) co (dot) uk if you have any spare time to meet up in London.

Iliana said...

I hope you are having a wonderful time on your holiday! Looking forward to hearing stories of sights seen :)

Karen said...

Hi Megan - there are plenty of pics but I will try and keep them contained a little!

Hi Kay - thank you so much!

Hi Samantha - and fill my bag I did!!

Hi Jackie - I am so sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up with when we were in London. The time just went so quickly. I would have loved the opportunity to catch up with you in person. Definitely next time!

Hi Iliana - I'm sure I will have plenty of stories to share!