December 27, 2008

When Will There Be Good News? - Kate Atkinson


I think the discovery of Kate Atkinson has been one of my greatest reading discoveries this year. When Will There Be Good News? was my third book of hers read this year and I loved it just as much as the other 2 books in the Jackson Brodie "series".

The description of the book from the author's website:


In rural Devon, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later the man convicted of the crime is released from prison. In Edinburgh, sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a G.P. But Dr Hunter has gone missing and Reggie seems to be the only person who is worried.Across town, Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling towards her is an old friend -- Jackson Brodie -- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.


I am not usually a crime reading type of gal - this is an area I am now working in to some degree so I like to take my reading for fun away from this subject - but I am loving Kate Atkinson's novels. Her writing is funny, sharp and sarcastic (all traits I possibly see in myself at times!). For whatever reason I find myself connecting with the characters and the story lines. I'm only hoping there is more Jackson Brodie to come...

10 comments:

Jackie said...

Hi, I wanted to let you know that I just discovered your blog and the book by Kate Atkinson is on my TBR list.I just started a reading blog of my own and I would love some advice:)

Karen said...

Hi Jackie - welcome to the book blogging world! I haven't been doing this too long myself but I guess my one piece of advice would be just blog whatever you enjoy - don't let the blogging take over your reading. Hope you have fun!

Marg said...

I am hoping that there is more Jackson Brodie as well.

Karen said...

Hi Marg - sounds like you are a fan of the Jackson Brodie character as well. I'm not sure where else Atkinson can take the character though??
Hi Eva - thanks for letting me know about the blog!

Marg said...

I think that the twist at the end of this book can give Jackson another new direction.

Sarah said...

I can't wait for a new Atkinson novel either, preferably featuring Brodie, Louise and co. I'm sure she can think of somewhere new to go.

Karen said...

Hi Marg and Sarah - that is so true, I would like to see Jackson and Louise end up together (at least for a little while!)

Marg said...

Definitely! If Atkinson manages to get that done though that would be pretty amazing given their current situations!

The scene at the hospital between the two of them this time was great!

Tamara said...

Karen and others, You've all given this author such a great wrap I'm going to see if I can borrow the book from my dear bookish friend..I have been a bit of a crime type fan, so I'm looking forward to the chance to discover this author too. thanks

Karen said...

Hi Marg - I agree about that scene!
Hi Tamara - Would definitely recommend this one. I borrowed all of these from the library but it would be nice to have them in my collection I think. I didn't know you were a crime fan!