November 13, 2008

Lighter, Brighter Reading


Even though I have been discovering and reading some fantastic books lately I have begun to notice a theme emerging - all the books seem to have death, destruction, trauma and grief contained within them. Now I have nothing against these sorts of books, I read a lot of them and enjoy books that don't skirt around reality but I'm feeling it's time for a little change - something a little lighter and brighter perhaps!

I purchased Wally Lamb's new book The Hour I First Believed last night and although he is one of my all time favourite authors and I have been waiting for this book to arrive for what seems like forever, I'm just not sure I can take on the subject matter at the moment.

So, I have also purchased The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs and I am thinking this book might be the one to take my reading focus to a lighter area - am I correct??

6 comments:

Tamara said...

Honestly, what can I say about your topic choices! I really hope the knitting club gives you the break you need. The world of experience, adventure, emotions and relationships is so much more that death and trauma... maybe a new reading challenge could be 'anything that doesn't reference pain'...

Karen said...

Hi Tamara - I think that would be a good reading challenge but it might be difficult to find enough books to fill the category!!

Iliana said...

I'm with you, I need to mix things up. Especially with the darker books, if I've read a few back to back then I really want lighter fare.

I've not read the books you mentioned but hope you'll enjoy them! I've heard good things of the Friday Night Knitting Club.

Mari said...

You would think that The Friday Night Knitting Club would be a good choice for lighter reading, but it is a bit of a tear jerker. I won't go into too much detail, I would hate to give away anything.

Karen said...

Hi Iliana - I agree, mixing things up is a good idea - but I know seem to be drawn into the new Wally Lamb book!
Hi Mari - thanks for the heads up!

Stephanie said...

Oh, oh, oh! This is the first I've heard that Wally Lamb has a new book out! I adore him! (I actually used to live not that far from him when I lived in CT, and in I Know This Much Is True, he mentioned the road I lived off of, lol!) Thanks for the news!!!