October 30, 2008

Nice to Come Home To - Rebecca Flowers


This week has been pretty full on work wise so I needed a book to get me through that wouldn't take up too much energy or brain power - Nice to Come Home To provided just that.

I guess this is what you would call "Chick Lit" although I hate using that term - sounds so derogatory and trivial when in fact, some of the best books I have ever read would have been classified in this genre (Marian Keyes earlier books come to mind).

Nice to Come Home To is really all about 36 year old Pru Whistler and the drama that has become her work and love life. When the book opens she has just lost her job and her boyfriend (not that I think this last loss is particularly tragic given the boyfriend in question) and Pru is now doing the whole "Where is my life going" reflection.

I have to admit I really didn't like Pru to begin with - I found her whiny and annoying - but I am glad I persisted with her story - she grew on me after a while.

Not an amazing work of fiction in my view but a great quick, fun story to get you through a busy week.

2 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Sometimes a book like this is a great one for a hectic week. I don't really like the term chick lit either--sounds so brainless!

Karen said...

Hi Trish - I know - it does doesn't it?? I don't feel I'm a brainless "chick" at all!