September 28, 2008

Stanley and Sophie - Kate Jennings


I first heard about Stanley and Sophie when I was travelling to Sydney by train one day and was listening to the ABC Radio National program - The Book Show. The author, an Australian born, Kate Jennings was giving an interview about the book and the writing process for it.

The book's title comes from the names of Kate's two Border Terrior's, Stanley and Sophie, who come to live with her in her New York apartment after the death of her husband.

The book is structured into very small chapters, small snippets of Kate's life with these two beloved animals.

I'm not a dog person at all - I'm a cat girl through and through - but I found reading about the impact of these animals presence on the author very interesting. The second half of the book, when the author travels to Indonesia to spend time with her brother, was a little boring and aimless to me and I must admit I lost interest a little.

A cute, meaningful book looking at the relationships between people and their animals and the impact of grief on our lives.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Karen, is this from the library or one of your own? I'd love to read it too. For some of us, our relationships with our pets are deeply meaningful. Something I'd like to explore more of.

Karen said...

Hi Tamara - this is my own book - I had thought it might be one you might like to read too so I will put it aside to bring for you the next time we catch up.

Anonymous said...

At this time it looks like Drupal is the best blogging platform out there
right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

my homepage diets that work